Even though it is exploitative, does it make a difference if I initially agreed to the working situation?

Your consent – verbally or not, implied or not – does not excuse the employer or justify his/her actions. You can still file a complaint, demand for reparation or payment of damages, and seek full enforcement of the contract that you signed with the employer.

Kindly note, however, that in filing formal criminal or civil charges against the employer, there might be a prescriptive period which means that you can only file a complaint within a given period. This could be within 2 or 5 or 10 years from the time the abuse, exploitation or violation has occurred, depending on the penalties.