Do I need to leave behind an authorization or special power of attorney in case it is need by my family?

It is advised that you leave an authorisation letter or special power of attorney to your trusted friend or family member. The letter or SPA will authorise them to do specific activities on your behalf as may be required or appropriate later while you are abroad. Examples of these are when you pay real estate taxes for the properties you left behind, process claims from your insurance, or receive documents from social services agencies. The SPA is important in times of emergency. Issuing it in advance will also reduce your expenses because issuing a SPA while already in the destination country will costs more. The MRC can provide you with a sample authorisation letter or SPA if you need them.